Friday, September 30, 2011

Ahhh... the rest day

Today my friends is a CrossFit rest day for me. That means no WOD. Thank the lord because my body is rejecting any sort of demanding physical activity today. Unfortunately we all know unless you are single with no job and living with your parents, there are no true 'rest' days. But a rest day from exercise, especially workouts like CrossFit are very important. The body can only take so much before it gives out and what you don't want is your arms to say screw this we are tired during an 85lb overhead squat. Watch this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qY-wGRIkkNE. And my apologies in advance to this guy for displaying his failed attempts, but hey it is on YouTube for gods sake. Anyway, that is the result of a bad day times a really difficult move. We've all been there.

Another tidbit worth mentioning about 'the rest day' is the fact that most CrossFitters rarely take one. I mean a full one with NO activity. We always find an excuse to do something exercise related whether its researching (and testing out) new and harder ways to lift or fun ways to make burpees suck less. (yay burpees!) My husband and I could be in a conversation about a particular workout or talking about a video we saw and 9 out of 10 times he will go out into the garage and do some pullups, shoulder presses or handstand pushups. And if we're not doing a WOD that day, we're out riding the bike for 10 miles or 'just going for a quick 5 mile run'. Seriously, it's a sickness. But I guess overall, that is the beauty of CF, it gives you the desire the strength and confidence to go out and live, to get stuff done and not be intimidated by how hard something is... or was.

Now on to my rest day which includes a trip to the docs, then to the farm for some fresh food and then to a big box store. Afterwards I'll probably run a few 400m sprints while the kids ride their bikes... like I said, sickness.

Oh, I added a new little feature called 'shit list'. It's basically a spot to give a public FU to any companies or anything I hate at the moment. If you have any you want added, let me know. NO people, at least not people we know.

Food Tip: Treat yourself once in a while to organic, hormone and steroid free, vegetarian fed meat. Whether it's beef, chicken, turkey, lamb, whatever. We shouldn't be eating all that crap they inject into the animals. I'm not saying to buy it all the time, unless you can afford it, but once in a while do something thats a little healthier for yourself and your family.

No comments:

Post a Comment