Monday, October 1, 2012

Recovery Day

I've decided I'm not calling rest days 'rest days' any more. 90% of the time I do something like walk, run, bike or body weight stuff. I think for me it's more of a recovery day. A day where I feel a little too sore to do heavy lifting and a metcon but not quite sore enough to sit on my ass and watch tv all day. The other 10% could be because I have too much on my plate and don't have time or I'm either sick or really hurting. The latter doesn't happen too often with the exception of my bum shoulder. Friday would be a good example, my lower back was pretty tight, ok, ouchy, from the deadlifts, my shoulder was hurting and my cold is still not completely gone, facing a wod of tabata sit ups and ring dips just would not be in my best interest. So run/walk it is. I guess some people would have sucked it up and gone ahead but I'm finding that my body is not recovering quite as quickly as it used to. So why hurt myself? Not sure if it's over training, diet, stress or just Outlaw's programming. Probably a little of each.

Recipe Review
As far as cooking goes I made PaleOMG's steak fajitas Friday night and they were fantastic. Love love love the cinnamon/coffee dry rub. The few subs that I made included flank steak instead of sirlion and I did not use the hot pepper, but I'm sure you could use a jalepeno or even some crushed reds if you want spice and don't feel like making a trip to the grocery store which was the case for me. The prep time is 5 minutes but it should marinate a few hours at least so keep that in mind. Could you just season and cook? Probably, but I don't think the meat would be as tender especially if you're using a flank or flat iron cut. Highly recommended if you have meat in the freezer that you don't know what to do with and tons of peppers from the garden.

Oh and if you haven't tried kobacha squash yet, do it. The skin is a son of a bitch to cut and I almost lost a finger, but it's so worth it in the end. I found out from Nom Nom Paleo that if you cut the stem out like a pumpkin first you can get the knife started in there then slice down in half. Then scoop out the flesh.

1 kobacha squash cut into wedges (not too thick, go with the natural indents of the squash)
2-3 tbsp melted coconut oil, bacon fat or ghee 
1 tbsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg or ground cloves (whatever you prefer, I used cloves and it was great)
salt to taste

Toss all together and roast on a baking sheet at 350 for about 25 minutes. Flip halfway thru. Let them get a little browned but not so soft that they fall apart when you remove them from the baking sheet. But, if that happens you can scoop the flesh and fork mash it just as easily at that point. Trick the kids into thinking they are mashed sweet potatoes. Thats what I did. 

Weekend flew by as usual. Too hungover to do a wod on Saturday. Sunday I did some crazy alternating tabata wod with situps and ring dips. That was no fun. Transitions were tough in 10 seconds and fast anchored sit ups made me dizzy. Blech. Today was a heavy one. Dumbbell shoulder presses, weighted chest to bar pull ups, front racked barbell step ups and good mornings. They all felt good, but my wrists didn't like the 60 rep front rack position. Even at 55lbs, they were screaming at the end of the first set. Yeah, mobility schmobility. I just think at this point I'm as mobile in that department as I'm gonna get.

No comments:

Post a Comment