Thursday, April 4, 2013

Road tripping

and the things I learned. Other people's kids are annoying, Disney is grossly overpriced, my kids are pretty damn good travelers and it's not impossible to stay on track and eat clean.

Lets start off by saying my kids can be annoying, I know this and I'll be the first admit it. But after spending 11 hours in Disney, you realize two things. One, your own children are less annoying than most and two, you don't want to have any more children. That being said, we did have a pretty good time in the park. And it was exactly what I expected, overwhelming, overpriced and overcrowded. You really have to know the system to get things done there. We did not, but, we did manage to hit a majority of the big rides and see the light parade and fireworks which were stunning even from a distance. The kids were super excited, over stimulated and exhausted by the end of the night. It was definitely worth it. Ok, maybe not definitely, but it was a good day.

Eating clean in Disney was tough and even I had succumb to a little gluten filled indulgence. I wasn't about to let Bud's $9 chicken and fries go to waste. It was only a few bites and I peeled off most of the breading. Sooo high maintenance. And I also had ketchup, milk chocolate, fries and potato chips. Call the paleo police! Hey, it was one day. Most of the week though I'm happy to say Bob and I did really well keeping to a good healthy Crossfitter/paleo routine. I made a ton of great food for us on the way down so we didn't have to stop and eat crap. Once we were at my mom's we had a great dinner of crock pot pork ribs and sauerkraut. Then about 3 meals out at restaurants, including this greek place Hellas in Tarpon Springs. Yep, it was tacky looking and filled with tons of retirees but the food was delicious and sitting on the open air patio in the warm weather couldn't be beat. I got a Gyro platter (so it wasn't wrapped). Bob got a sampler with stuffed grape leaves, gyro and pastitsio. And as a sidenote, leftover lamb was awesome in our eggs the next morning. No, even I could not finish the whole thing.


We also managed to get some wods done a few days. Day 1 in the hotel was a 10, 9, 8 burpee ladder. Day 2 was a 1.5 mile walk with the kb held in various positions. Day 3 was...800 meters, 10, 9, 8... push up, kbs, 800 meters. I wanna say we did another one but I can't remember. Then that was about it for me. Time was not on our side and we had a few long days and late nights. All in all it was a good trip. The weather was beautiful, palm trees and turquoise water were picturesque, the kids were great in the car and even Easter in the beach side bar with my daughter throwing up wasn't bad. Yes, little princess got a stomach bug Sunday while we were visiting my grandmother in Vero Beach for Easter Sunday. That continued to Monday's travel day home which was fun. Word to the wise, when your 7 year old says 'I'm going to throw up', that means right that second. Yeah, in the car all over her seat. Gah. There is nothing worse than throwing up in the car and trying to pull over to the side of the road while on a bridge doing 75 miles an hour in traffic. Total chaos. At least for Bud, Bob and I, the bug waited until we got home. We're all almost a 100% now, but it wasn't a very good homecoming.

Hoping to bang out last weeks open wod of clean and jerks tomorrow then get on to last nights thruster pull up wod on Sunday. Two of my favorites. Not. I expect that will be a 4 minute wod for me. Oh well. It will feel good to get back on the bar though. Having a week off was probably good for my body but I'm starting to feel the urge to get my ass kicked again. How sick is that?

No comments:

Post a Comment