Monday, August 13, 2012

Days gone by.... and meat!

Needless to say it was another busy weekend. We didn't have any plans per se, but all I know is from the minute we got out of bed Friday it was non stop for the rest of the weekend. Friday we started off the day by dropping the kids off at VBS, a trip to the meat farm to pick up some grassfed bacon, pork butt, New York strips, beef snack sticks and some eggs. (I'll post more on that in a minute). Off for the rest of the food shopping, picked up the kids, had some lunch then we took the kids, err... ourselves to see Batman. The kids just happened to be with us. They've seen all the other ones and there was no cursing and no sex, although violence aplenty. Eh, they've seen Alien, Resident Evil and the like, what's a little ass kicking? After that we followed it up with vacation bible school closing ceremonies.... which is pretty funny when I think of it now. Violence then church. Maybe we aren't such bad parents after all. By the time we got home it was 8, the kids were sugared up and smelly and we were starving for our New York strip and some tequila.


It was fabulous. Although, truth told, I did not taste much of a difference. I was under the impression grassfed meats had a little 'earthier' 'meatier' taste? Maybe it depends on the cut? Not sure, either way it was fantastic and worth the little extra. We also picked up a pound of bacon. Now there I could definitely taste a difference. I have bought uncured, nitrate free bacon before so I know what decent bacon tastes like compared to regular store bought, but damn, this stuff was even better. A definite treat.  The beef snack sticks are great too. I could eat them all day long. The farm also makes it's own raw milk cheeses which of course I had to sample. Wow. As much as I wanted too, I didn't buy any. I can't have a block of cheese in the house that is that good and not eat it. I'll have to do some research on if raw milk cheese is a little easier on the system than the regular processed crap in the store. Keeping my fingers crossed. 

Saturday and Sunday was a blur of Target, Dicks', Toys r Us, Home Depot, Giant and the dreaded mall between back to school shopping and finding a new bike for my daughter. We actually did end up buying her one and happy to say she loves it. Obviously we had multiple test rides both days as well. Nothing like squats, running and biking a few miles to get the legs going. 

Workouts have been tough lately with the exception of Sunday. Outlaw and mainsite were a rest days and I wasn't in the mood for an ass kicking hero or heavy 1RM squat test so I just did some warmup stuff, ran a few sprints and biked of course. Today's wod was killer endurance for me. Burpees and double unders. Blech. Luckily the weather is beautiful today so I didn't have the heat and humidity to deal with, just my own lack of will. It goes without saying I hate both double unders and burpees but oddly enough I was able to string together 33 du's and multiples of 15 and 20 so.. not bad. Overall it was a good one even though I hated every second. Only a Crossfitter would understand that last statement. 

No new recipes other than zucchini bread (I made them into muffins) courtesy of Elana's Pantry. The kids actually really liked them and I'm surprised considering they knew there was a vegetable in it. Now that I have about 20 pounds of zucchini in the garden I'll definitely be making more once my 5lb bag of Honeyville almond flour gets here. Yep, had to order another one already. Today I decided to make some cupcake size meatloafs... meatloaves? thanks to PaleOmg. Little disappointed they didn't come out looking like cupcakes but at least I have some quick mini protein snacks in the fridge. Why do I insist on making this stuff on IF days. 

Monday (8/13)
Outlaw Crossfit
15 minutes to practice or test a Tall Snatch.
16(5)-45(5)-55(4)-65#(3)

12 minute AMRAP of:
50 Double-Unders
7 Burpees
*Add 7 Burpees every round (Rd. 2-14 Burpees, Rd. 3-21 Burpees, etc).
3 rounds + 50 du + 15 burpees

Sunday (8/12)
10 kte
5 ohs 45#
10 kte
10 back squat 45#
10 kte
15 front squats 45# (with bottom holds)

1/2 mile 50m on 50m off sprints
4 mile bike ride

Saturday (8/11)
Outlaw Crossfit
12 minutes to establish a 1RM Snatch Drop.
60#

-then-
1a) 3XME T2B – rest 45 sec. - 23-20-13
1b) 3XME HSPU – kipping is allowed, rest 45 sec. - 11-7-8
1c) 3X20 KBS – heaviest possible, rest 45 sec. - 35#
1d) 3X5 Snatch Grip Behind the Neck Press – heaviest possible, rest 45 sec. - 45-55-55#

Afternoon - 7 mile family bike ride










No comments:

Post a Comment