Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Finding a farm

This past weekend much to my surprise I was able to find a farm 20 minutes from our house that raises, processes and sells it's own grassfed cow, chicken, turkey and pig right on the premisis. Most of the farms around here bring in their meat from other farms. Not that it's a bad thing, but there is a part of me that would rather support the growers rather than sharing it with the seller. Bob has been by the place many times on his bike but we weren't really sure what their deal was. Now I know. They are only open a few days a week so I'll have to head over there on Friday. There is also a dairy farm less than a mile away for fresh eggs and she gave me a heads up that in 2 weeks or so they will be getting in fresh chicken and duck. They raise them then send them out to be prepared. I really can't wait to try some GF filet and bacon. And another discovery we made while visiting another farm down the road that sells bison, was the overabundance of huge tractor tires laying in their warehouse. Hopefully I can talk them into letting us take one off their hands. And maybe I'll try to catch one of their free roaming chickens. Ha. 

I'm going thru this 'I hate corporate america (thanks in part to Anthos), politicians are dirty, we need to be self sustaining, eat no hormones, taking care to recycle and be more efficient' thing right now. I'm usually pretty conscious about this stuff on a normal day, but Bob and I were watching a documentary on the evils of the FDA the other night and it really drove the point home that we as a nation are continually sliding down the rabbit hole of obesity, greed, lies and destruction. Do I sound dramatic? Maybe, but it doesn't take a genius to see big bank, big pharma and big government have their greedy hands in just about all aspects of our lives. As I told my husband when I start thinking about selling our house and buying a farm to raise our own food, you know there is something wrong. Me, who can't grow proper cucumbers, loves her air conditioning, xbox, iphone and big tv wants to grow vegetables, raise animals then kill them for food? I'm getting worried and I don't think it has anything to do with my hormones. 

Well, enough of that for right now before I get all worked up and end up calling my financial advisor and withdrawing all our money and shoving it in the mattress. 

On a brighter note, my wods have been good considering I'm feeling a little run down. My little guy has a cold so I'm sure it will run it's course thru everyone in the house within the next few days. Yay! Love the summer cold. I was able to get my 100# squat clean and jerk. I did clean 100 before (maybe a few months ago) but couldn't get it since. My snatch (snicker snicker) is improving. Was able to get 65 on the 3 position method fairly easily today. Although on the last attempt I couldn't get under quick enough so it was more like a high hang then ohs. Oh well. At least my ohs felt solid. Gotta look at the positive side and move on sometimes.

Tuesday (8/7)
Outlaw Crossfit
15 minutes to practice (or test if proficient) the 3 Position Snatch (high to low).
45(5)-55(5)-65(3)

-then-
1 minute ME Slapping Pushups
-rest 1 minute
8 minute AMRAP of:
16 KB Snatches 24/16kg (8L/8R) - 20#
12 KB Thrusters 24/16kg (6L/6R) - 35#
8 Burpee Box Jumps 24/20″
-rest 1 minute
1 minute ME Slapping Pushups

1. ME push ups - 12
2. 2 rounds + 16 kb snatch
3. ME push ups - 13

Monday (8/6)
Rest day

Sunday (8/5)
Outlaw Crossfit: bb gymnastics
20 min to establish a 1RM clean & jerk

65(2)-75-80-85(2)-90-95(2)-100(PR)-105(f)

Saturday (8/4)
Outlaw Crossfit
5X3 Pause Front Squats (3 seconds at bottom) – heaviest possible, rest 90 sec.
125#
*tried 135 couldn’t quite manage the 3rd today without losing stability in my core

-then-
4 rounds for time of:
6 Box Jumps 36/28″ - 26”
12 C2B Pullups - one leg blue band
24 OHS 65/45# - 35#
16:33





No comments:

Post a Comment