Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Sweet and spicy shrimp

Wow. Another week gone by and no posts. I just can't keep up. So much to cover, where do I begin.  Well, I've decided to buy a journal to actually write down my wods. I know, write, with a pencil? What? I don't know why, but I like it. I think it's because since I've started Outlaw's program and they do a lot of different strength work, I was forgetting what weights I had done previously. Between the cleans and snatches there are 12-14 different movements they work on... crazy confusing some days especially when they say 'go heavier than last week' or base off of 'x' date... yeah, ok, how the hell am I supposed to keep track of that unless I write it down AND more importantly it's easy to find. Duh, journal. I was keeping a ton of sticky post it notes on the fridge in the garage but that was an unorganized mess. And as a self proclaimed control freak, I can't have that.

Wods have been a bit challenging lately. I think I've fallen into a vicious cycle between upping my metcon weights, lack of sleep, not enough calories, no mobility work, extra snack foods and constantly on the move with the kids is leading to poor recovery.... eh, hopefully once they go back to school next week I'll be able to fall into a better schedule.

I did make a somewhat 'new' recipe, sweet and spicy shrimp, last week. It's from Clean Eating magazine which is awesome for those of us who eat clean but are not necessarily paleo, although this recipe is. Shame I didn't get a picture because it did look pretty. You can serve it with any green, spinach, cabbage, kale, collards... or make a taco out of it like the original recipe with shredded radicchio, carrot and cilantro. I served it over some shredded baby spinach and cabbage. The warm shrimp wilts the greens nicely.

Sweet and Spicy Shrimp
In a blender or food processor add:
1-1 1/2 cup fresh or frozen pitted cherries/raspberries/blackberries/blueberries (unsweetened if frozen)
1-2 sliced jalapenos (use depending on how much spice you want)
1- 2" piece of fresh ginger or 1 tbsp jarred
4 tsp raw honey
1/4 water

Season 20-24 raw shrimp (peeled, tails removed) with S&P,  add some oil (whatever you like) and sear 1 minute each side on high heat. Reduce heat to medium and add the cherry mixture. Heat thru about 2 minutes. Done. Oh and you can use red pepper flakes for the spice if you don't have peppers. Works just as well. 

A few days ago I made the same sauce with blackberries and served it over some salmon then used the leftover the next day for a shredded chicken salad. Both were great.

Nothing else new on the recipe front. Bob has been fighting a stomach bug for a few days so dinners have been chicken soup and a turkey avocado sandwich for me. On gluten free bread of course.

I'm not posting my wods here anymore. What's the use really. I can't search them and it's a pain in the ass to re write and/or format them from BrandX. And now that I have my handy dandy notebook (cue the Blue's Clues voiceover) I don't need to have my workouts logged in 3 different places. I may be organized to a fault but I know that that is overkill.





No comments:

Post a Comment