Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Recipe: Loaded nachos

I swear, there are tortilla chips in there somewhere.

And yes, there is cheese in there too. What self respecting nacho wouldn't be covered in at least a little cheese.

If you've read any of my previous posts you'll know I love Nom Nom Paleo's slow cooker Korean beef short ribs. Only I usually do pork ribs, because number one, Bob and I love pulled pork, number two, the grocery store doesn't usually have nice looking or enough beef short ribs for the recipe. This time I got lucky so I actually used the beef.

Once I made my mind up that I was in fact going to make these ribs for Superbowl Sunday, it didn't matter what I was serving them with. I just wanted the ribs. So after a few hours I thought, hey, we'll just do some nachos with the shredded meat. It's a lazy Sunday football day. I put my time in the garage gym and got my ass kicked. Why not? I know, 8 hours worth of cooking to make nachos? Yes. Double yes. With Bob's homemade pico, some sliced plain avocado and a little shredded cheddar, they were probably the best nachos I've ever eaten. Hands down. We ended up eating the whole tray. Normal people probably wouldn't but we did. Hey, it was our dinner.

Here's what I did if you have the 8-9 hours to spare to make the meat and are willing to just shred it up for nachos. Honestly, you'll have enough to eat it for dinner one night, make nachos and save some for eggs the next day so don't get your panties in a bunch about it.

Loaded Nachos
*makes one giant cookie sheet worth of nachos and should feed about 4 people (if you're not us)

Nom Nom Paleo's slow cooker grass fed Korean short ribs (see link above for recipe)
Handful of grated cheddar (if you do cheese)
1 avocado, diced
Organic blue tortilla chips (or whatever chips you like)

Pico
3/4 pint of grape tomatoes, diced small but not minced into oblivion
1/2 yellow onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2-3/4 of a green bell pepper, diced
jalepeno, diced (seed and only use half if you want to reduce the heat)
small handful of cilantro, chopped
2-3 glugs of olive oil
juice of one lime (if not a real juicy one, you may want to use another)
kosher salt and pepper to taste

Mix all and let it get happy in the fridge for a while. A good tip about pico is making sure to dice your veggies all the same size. You don't want huge chunks of onion and minced peppers. Besides, it looks prettier when they are all the same size.

Once the meat is done cooking, remove fat and bones and shred. If you plan on reserving some for another dish, use about 2 ribs worth of meat for the nachos or whatever you feel would be enough.

If you are using cheese, preheat the oven to 350. Layer your chips on a cookie sheet trying to give them some space for good coverage. Sprinkle the cheese on the nachos, then add the meat making sure to spread the love to ALL the nachos, not just the ones in the center! Throw them in the oven until the cheese is melty, about 8-10 minutes. Remove and top with the pico and chopped avocado.

*Obviously if you are not using cheese, just layer the meat, pico and avocado. No need to put it back in the oven.

I swear it will wipe clean the memories of chips covered with Cheez Whiz, canned chili and sour cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment