Sunday, September 23, 2012

Human guinea pig

Sometimes I wonder if I'm not just a human guinea pig. I'm willing try new recipes and report back saving everyone the hassle of trying them themselves. That is of course if you trust my judgement. Three things you need to know. I am a food snob, I'll eat anything with the exception of beets and I don't impress easily. I should have been a food critic. But they are usually fat and have to eat a lot of shitty food so that would be a deal breaker for me.

So with that, I made PaleOMG's pumpkin granola and Elana's Pantry peanut butter cookies. Well, let me tell you. That pumpkin granola is fucking delicious. My only problem with it was it did not get as crispy as I would have liked. I doubled the recipe from the get go, added more on the cooking time and it still came out a little too chewy. Oh it's still great, but it ended up like a chewy cereal bar rather than the crunchy granola I was hoping for. So, word of warning, spread it thin as you can on the cookie sheet and check underneath with a spatula to make sure it's not burning. If there is any way to make your house smell like fall, this recipe will do it. Cloves, cinnamon and allspice? What could be better.

The peanut butter cookies were good. I did not do the jelly thing, I added chocolate chips. Good stuff. The kids like it and thats all that matters.

Well I've come to the conclusion that my belly aching this past week is not the pretzels and hummus. Thank god. It's the apples. I cut them out and bingo, feel 100% better. My mother told me before apple skin can be bothersome but who listens to their mother the first time around. Apple skins bad, mom right. Sigh. At least I know what it is and I'm guessing peeling the skin will solve that issue.

My poor little guy is down for the count this weekend with a terrible cough and high fever. The kids have been in school a little over 2 weeks and we've got our first cold of the season already. Of course I usually always get it no matter what I do and I did. Stuffy head, sore throat, although I don't feel as bad today as I did yesterday. I think cutting out the grains has lessoned virus's, virus'? effect on the system. Just my 2 cents. No data to back that up but coming from someone who was always sick and always suffered from headaches, I very rarely get either too often anymore and if I do, they don't last that long. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Obviously no wod for me today taking it easy, baking some goodies, making lasagna and watching dad and the kids play football on this beautiful Sunday. And yes, I'm using real cheese and ricotta in the lasagna. What self respecting Italian would dare do otherwise.



No comments:

Post a Comment