Tuesday, September 11, 2012

No Tough Mudder this weekend

What a fucking bummer. Thanks to torrential rains on Saturday the Tough Mudder was cancelled on Sunday. Think about it, the Tough MUDDER was cancelled due to.... too much mud? Really? Sounds like an oxymoron, but apparently there was big trouble at the farm where the event was being held on Saturday when the nasty storms rolled thru. There was standing water; not by design, electrical hazards, again, not by design, and cars needing to be pushed and towed out of the muddy parking area. We also heard that the location itself and the unpreparedness of the local police made for a perfect storm of a terrible experience. Tough Mudder has always prided itself on running a very safe, efficient, challenging and fun event and with all the damage done to the course on Saturday, they felt like it wouldn't be safe and enjoyable for anyone on Sunday. I get it. Safety first. Electrocutions can only be done by experienced Mudder professionals.

Things weren't all bad though. We actually ended up having a nice weekend full of family fun. We took the kids to the Baltimore Aquarium on Saturday.


While at the aquarium I had a nice salad with grilled veggies and fresh fruit. So far so good. After the aquarium we found a nice little diner around the corner from our hotel which offered bison burgers, gluten free, organic, local grassfed meat and produce. Needless to say Bob and I were excited about that. I had the bison burger with mushrooms, guacamole and bacon. Bob had meatloaf and mashed potatoes. It wasn't the best meal I've ever had, but it was a cool place and the waiter didn't look at me like I had 3 heads when I ordered a burger with no bun. Sunday we drove down to Washington DC since it was only about 40 minutes or so from our hotel. We cruised around town, checked out the White House, took some handstand photos with the monument in the background, had 13 cups of coffee and took the bus to The National Zoo, got back downtown had an early dinner at Chipotle and made our way home.

I was surprised at how easy it was to find decent meals while out of town. It's not as difficult as you would think. Obviously it takes a little research before, but really, how hard is that now with iPhones and iPads? Anyone who says it's too hard to stick to primal or paleo lifestyle while eating out is either lazy or stupid. That is an excuse for people who want to eat whatever they want and then say they didn't have a choice.

Wods the past 2 days have felt good. I guess the little 3 day break was good for me. Squats were awesome today and clean and jerks felt good at 95.. although not good enough to get thru the entire metcon in good form. I did drop to 85 to keep good pace. I am happy I CAN do 95 pound clean and jerks. There was a time, not more than a few weeks ago when I couldn't. I love Crossfit.

No comments:

Post a Comment