Friday, January 25, 2013

Recipe: Flat iron steak with cabbage, onion, apples and bacon

Yes, my dinner of marinated flat iron steak, sauteed cabbage, bacon, onion and apple was awesome, but that's besides the point. My children actually ate some steak! Actually my daughter said to me, and I quote, "If I have to eat this meat, make sure it's always covered in bacon." I couldn't have said it better myself. My son, well, he ate some and didn't ask for more.

Anyway, here's what I made. (sorry no pictures, I just can't seem to remember)

Throw the flat iron/flank/skirt steak in a pyrex dish/bag/bowl with chopped garlic, s&p, aminos, olive oil and a 1/2 cup of cold coffee and let it sit in the fridge for about 3 hours or so. And if you remember, try to flip the meat over at least once. And I only threw in the coffee because it was leftover and free of creamer and sugar...which is really rare for me. I love my coffee and drink 6 cups a day. Regardless, the base of the recipe is from Primal Palate, I just didn't do all the little extra spices they do because I was feeling lazy and was short on time. Later, cook your meat how you like it. You should know how to cook a flank steak by now. I pan seared mine in the cast iron about 4-5 min per side because it is too cold to grill outside.

Chop and brown a few pieces of bacon, remove from pan and throw in some sliced cabbage and onion and s&p. Cook it down for about 10-15 min on medium heat stirring often. Throw in some chopped apples at the end and cover for about 5 min. Any longer and the apples become applesauce. Plate and top with bacon pieces. See, no brainer. The sliced meat with the apples, bacon and onion is delicious.

Again, no wod for me today. Still sick. Not laying on the couch can't move sick, but stuffy head, runny nose, dry lips, itchy face but I can still get stuff done sick. Hate the itchy dry face feeling and being inside with the heater going non stop just makes it worse. There is not enough lotion on the planet right now that would make my skin happy. I'm thinking I should just slather myself in coconut oil and be done with it.

I'm hopeful I can sneak some strength stuff in tomorrow morning. I need to do something. We do have a kids birthday party to attend relatively early in the day so we'll see.

Time to finally sit back and relax with my cup of bone broth and do a little reading before my 'I have no inside voice' daughter barrels thru the door.





No comments:

Post a Comment