Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Recipe: Paleo parsley pesto

Try saying that 3 times. I'm sure most of us know how to make pesto and that it usually includes parm and extra virgin olive oil. Personally I don't think it's that bad for you in moderation but, if you're like me and still need to detox after the holidays, here is a clean version.

1 large bunch of Italian flat leaf parsley, stalks trimmed (you can use basil or cilantro as well)
2 cloves of garlic
juice of 1/2 a lemon
1/4 c pine nuts - toasted
1/3 cup *approx almond oil (or favorite nut oil)

Toast pine nuts in skillet on low for about 5 minutes or until they start to brown. Throw parsley, garlic and nuts in the food processor. Chop until everything is.... chopped. Small and sticking to the sides is usually a good clue. Scrap down the sides of the bowl and with machine running slowly add in the oil until it all starts to come together and sounds 'slooshly'. You'll know it when you hear it. *It may take less or more than the 1/3 cup. Use your judgement. Then scrape down the sides again, add lemon juice a little at a time, salt and pepper, blend and adjust to taste. I like a little more lemon so it's not so oily tasting. Although I noticed the almond oil is very light compared to olive. Done. You can serve it over basically anything, steak, chicken, seafood, zucchini noodles. It's pretty versatile if you like pesto.


As you can tell, pesto was part of what I had for dinner last night. With some fake pasta, sauteed shrimp and grape tomatoes. Quick, easy and I didn't have to go to the store. Always a plus. My noodles did fall apart into a gloppy mess but it was still tasty.

No wod for me today but I did get a lot accomplished. My little guy woke up with a fever and cold again so no school for him and a doctors appointment later. Gah. Anyway, it gave me a chance to start cleaning and removing a ton of old crap from the basement. For 13 years our basement has been the black hole of unwanted junk. Not anymore! I put the word out to the family to come and get it or it's going to be on the curb. So with that I did a lot of heavy lifting, moving, squatting, carrying stuff up the stairs and out to the trash. Much like a wod, no fun but very satisfying.

Oh and one other thing. My mom called to tell me I curse too fucking much on my blog. And no, she didn't want me to mention it. But, I wouldn't be me if I didn't.


No comments:

Post a Comment