Saturday, January 12, 2013

Let's hear it for the medical profession

Yes, I'm being sarcastic. I do believe there are good doctors out there and I know they are human and make mistakes but when it comes to medicine dosage, especially for a child, wouldn't something like 7 teaspoonfulls a day raise a question? My son was given Tamiflu and the doctor ordered 3 1/2 tsp twice a day. Yes I questioned her in the office and thought immediately it was too much, but she said it's a new formula and that is what he should be given. Ok, he's 40lbs, it seemed like an awful lot but hey, I'm no doctor. When I went to the pharmacy to pick it up they wrote down 7 teaspoonfulls twice a day. WOW. Luckily I knew better, but really? Not only to make a mistake by doubling a dosage, but to not question whether 7 tsp a day seemed a bit high to begin with? They should have known better. Now fast forward 2 days later when the doctor calls me 8am on a Saturday to tell me the dosage should only be 2 tsp a day. 2. Fortunately he only had 1 day of major overdose and it did no harm. But jesus christ, what if it had done something? I'm horrified, and when CVS calls to tell me they have the other half of his meds they still owe me, I'm going to let them have it. That is a job ending mistake and they could have killed someone. I already have a hard time trusting doctors and pharmacists as it is because I feel like all they do is push drugs for profit, but this whole thing just puts the cherry on the top for me.

The only good that came out of this is the fact that my little guy had a complete turnaround in 24 hours. He's feeling back to normal. My daughter had to be picked up from school yesterday with the same symptoms and a 101 fever but fortunately, when I spoke with the doc she said I could just give her some of Bud's meds and don't bother bringing her in. She was also a tad overdosed as well and is feeling much better 12 hours later. So, we are all on the mend and trying to get back to normal. Let that be a warning. Double check everything and don't be afraid to question a doc.

Got a nice light jog and walk in today. Trying to build my run endurance back up a little at a time. Not that I'm really getting the running bug back yet, but with spring around the corner, I like to get out there and get some fresh air.

Made another good recipe from The Domestic Man last night. Seared scallops with pork sausage, bacon and kale. Pretty easy to make and only slightly different than the shrimp, sausage collard green recipe I make all the time. Oh and I was able to find some sugar free fish sauce at a gourmet grocery store a few miles from me. It's Asian Gourmet. Pretty common name among the Asian product aisle but I've never seen the fish sauce before. I've been on the lookout ever since I started making Nom Nom Paleo's recipes since she uses it all the time in just about everything. With that being said, I'm making those Asian meatballs again tonight. Love them.

Not much else to do today. May make another trip to the basement to get some junk cleared out then, maybe a nice afternoon nap if I'm lucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment