Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Overmedicating

Interesting facts on over medicating on MDA today. As a former pill popper I can say less is more. I used to have no qualms about going to the doc for every ache and pain and just taking what they gave me. Regardless of side effects, regardless of the nagging feeling that I probably don't really need it. But, like every one else, I trusted the doctor. They went to medical school and they know what's best for me..... or do they? I'm horrified to find that over the years that some doctors are more interested in numbers and profits and prescriptions than overall welfare of the patient. And as I've gotten older, and thanks to CrossFit which introduced me to a whole new world of living healthier, I've learned that meds aren't always the way to go. And to think, I used to laugh at my grandmother who always, always, said medication is no good, all the doctors want is to keep you sick so you keep coming back. I thought she was nuts. Yes, there are beneficial meds for those who need them for heart health, high blood pressure, cancer, depression... I'm not completely down on meds and would never tell someone to stop taking them and chew ginger and kale instead. But come on, doesn't anyone see the bigger picture? Pharma wants us to be sick and scared. Thats how they make money. Anyway, just my opinion on a touchy subject. Take it with a grain of salt.

And on a side note, not to make light of Whitney Houston's passing, but jesus christ, if I hear "I will always love you" one more time I may just vomit.

Tuesday
*breakfast - eggs w/collards, chicken, tomatoes, strawberries. lunch - avocado, tomato, chicken salad. dinner - rice pasta w/meatballs
warmup:
squats
shoulder press
ohs
ttb
kb swings
good mornings
stretching

CFSB C1/W5
Shoulder Press 1RM Test
warmup: 3x45, 55, 65, 70
75, 80, 85(Fx2)
high rep @40# - 21-15-9
*previous 1RM was 80#.

WOD
Puppies
Complete as many rounds as possible in 12 minutes of:
15-25 pound Push press, 7 reps - 45#
15-25 pound Overhead squat, 10 reps - 45#
15 Sit-ups - anchored, palms down

6 rounds + 6 PP

*notes - Was able to get shoulder press @85# to top of head, couldn’t press it out. Failed twice. got thru high rep today though. last time was stuck at 21-13. ohs were a little shaky, arms were fried, first 4 rounds unbroken, last 2 broke @6 and then 8. depth ok, some shallow. shoulder tweaky. 




No comments:

Post a Comment