Thursday, February 23, 2012

Restarting strength

Nice weather here in the Northeast today. 62 degrees in February? Unheard of. I needed to get outside and run. I think I got the running bug again. So what better time than today to do the dreaded deadlift 400m wod. It really wasn't that bad. Maybe I was just in the right mood for it today. Or it could have been the awesome leftover flat iron steak and potatoes for breakfast. Good fuel for me today.

Restarting the strength bias program to work on my sets of 5. Bob said it's a good idea to change it up around week 7. So with that, I did 5 reps of my heavy back squats yesterday. Yeah, thats not what I was supposed to do. Little did I know I was supposed to recalculate 65% of my 1RM and start from there with sets of 5. Ooops. But, I was able to do 5@160 which is 10 less than my current 1RM. Hopefully that means my 1RM will improve by at least 10 next time I test. Deadlifts felt fine today. Got thru the 15-12-9 relatively well. I did run 400m between the sets so there was a little gasping for air but still felt good. Finally feel like I'm getting over the hump I've seemed to be stuck in for a little while.

Wednesday
*breakfast - oatmeal w/apples, walnuts, maple syrup, flax. lunch - ??. dinner - flat iron steak and fried eggs. 
warmup:
yes

CFSB C1/W7
Back Squat
warmup: 5x45, 3x95, 120
work: 5x140, 150, 160#

WOD
Angie
Puppies and Buttercups: ALL 35
For time:
20 Pull-ups or 25 Beginner or Assisted Pull ups - blue band assisted
20 Push-ups
20 Sit ups - anchored palms down
20-50 Squats

5:57
*notes - Push ups ate up most of the time. I suck at pushups and need to practice them! should have shot for 50. next time. happy that assisted pull ups are not as draining as they used to be. yay me. mistakingly did 5 rep @ heavy weight for back squats. should have restarted at 65% of 1RM.... but got thru 5@160. definite progress there. 

Thursday
*breakfast - leftover flat iron steak and mashed sweet pots. lunch - ?? dinner - pork tenderloin and veggies. 
warm:
kte
squats
ohs
squat cleans
kb swings
shoulder presses
stretching/mobility

CFSB C1/W7
Deadlift
Restart @65% of 210# (sets of 5)
warm: 5x85, 3x115
work: 5x120, 130, 140#

WOD
15-12-9
110# deadlift
400m
9:52

*notes - felt good. legs a little tight from squats yesterday. deadlift to run was hard for first 10-20 meters. focused on good form, not speed thru high rep deads. 

No comments:

Post a Comment