Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Go forth young grasshopper

Wow. Just got finished today's WOD and it was a core killer. Actually a full body killer. It was slow going since there were some new movements today which focused more on core strength and they are always a weakness for me. The 'Grasshopper' beat me up. For this movement you have to touch your shins to your arms from a piked position. Yeah, my body just doesn't bend like that. The video makes it look easy enough but we all know how that goes. The athletes that do the video demos are hardcore and can probably do them in their sleep. For the average xfitter like me, they weren't pretty. But I got them done. The up and downs which can be described as the burpees lazy sister weren't that bad but still tough on the arms and core. My lower back felt everyone of those since I obviously didn't tighten up like I should have. Lesson learned.

My strength program is coming along. Today was shoulder press for me which is another weakness. My 1 rep max was 80 last time I did them, meaning I barely got one up. But today I was able to get 4 reps at 75#. I've never gotten any more than 2-3. I'm pretty sure I'm supposed to hit some sort of pr every time, which I am so I guess I'm making progress. I'm basically just following the program Bob put together for me based on my numbers, a lot of it I don't understand to be honest, but it's a proven system and I want to get stronger so I just check my chart and do what needs to be done. At first I thought that there was no way I could do strength and a metcon in one day but actually it's not that bad. My tolerance for pain and suffering has improved immensely over the past year.

Also started the Recon Ron pull up program today. My pull ups are a thorn in my side. I can do a few dead hang now but can't really do more than 2-3 at a time. When I first started CrossFit I couldn't pull myself up an inch so I've definitely made improvements there, I'm just not where I want to be with them yet. Hopefully this program will help me get to where I can do them in a metcon without assistance.

I've noticed recently I've been having a snacking problem. Some nights I'm in the kitchen picking at stuff 5-6 times. I'm not eating crap, but eating none the less. Probably need more calories during the day. I've fallen into the habit of not eating in the morning and just making a huge lunch which may be working against me. Funny how the more food I eat meaning a solid breakfast, good lunch and dinner the better I feel and the more weight I lose. I know, duh? Bob told me the strength program zaps a lot of calories so I'm probably not eating enough. Hmmmm, does this mean I can eat cheese steaks and Italian hoagies for lunch? Oh how I wish.

Tuesday
warmup:
jump rope
10x25# plate squats
stretching/mobility

CFSB w3/d3
Back Squats
warmup: 5x60, 75, 3x90#
work: 5x110, 3x125, 1x140#(6)
last set max reps

WOD
21-15-9
left arm kettlebell swings - 20#
right arm kettlebell swings
pull ups - blue band assisted
8:04

Wednesday
warmup:
jump rope
10x35# plate squats
stretching/mobility

CFSB w3/d4
Shoulder Press
warmup: 5x30, 40, 3x45
work: 5x60, 3x65, 1x75#(4)
last set max reps

Recon Ron Pull ups
day 1: 1-1-1-1-1

WOD
amrap 12 minutes:
30 second plank holds
10 up and downs
5 parallette pass thrus
10 grasshoppers

4 rounds + 30 sec plank hold + 8 up and downs

*Notes - need to practice grasshoppers. Not flexible enough. Parallettes ok forward, backwards tough. 75# shoulder press felt heavy today even though I ate some oatmeal for breakfast. Pull ups were ok, took about 30 sec-1 min in between.












2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting the link for Recon Ron. I was going to ask you for it again! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally forgot you wanted that. We'll see what happens. I guess it's just like anything else, practice practice practice.

    ReplyDelete